How to Organize Your Storage Unit
Now that you've arrived at your destination, it's time to organize your storage unit so you can find things quickly and easily without rummaging or having to open every box.
- Take a moment to look at your storage unit. If you have a very large unit, it might be a good idea to leave a couple of
"habi-trail" aisles inside your unit between your belongings to help with access to the farther corners. Having to climb over your belongings is not a good idea and could be very dangerous.
- If you packed your truck right, the heavy stuff should be coming off first and placed in the back of the storage unit. Be sure and leave appliance doors ajar. You can use a heavy washcloth or small towel for this job. Keeping a box of baking soda in the appliances helps control odors.
- If you run across an errant item on your "use often" or "now" list, be sure and set it aside. Try not to let it get caught up in the stacking process or you may not be able to find it again quickly.
- Set down your pallets as you go along.
- Stack boxes and similar sized items so you can see the labels.
- Try to keep kitchen stuff together, bathroom stuff together, etc. If it was together in the truck, it should be easy to keep together in the unit. Stack heavy items on the bottom and lighter items on the top.
- Try not to lean furniture against the outside walls of your unit.
- Utilize interior spaces of dressers and other components to store small boxes and items to maximize your available space.
- If an item seems wobbly and un-sturdy if you stand it up vertically, don't take chances, store it horizontally if possible.
When you are finished loading your storage unit, the items you will use often should all be at the front and you should have reasonably easy access to most areas of your unit.
Storage & Moving
Solutions on the